Friday, November 22, 2013

FITNESS: Lavash Bread

Joseph's Lavash Bread has become a staple part of my diet. And for those of you who are diabetic, wanting to keep your carbs in check, or just eat healthier - you've got to check it out! It comes packaged looking like this:


I found mine at my local Walmart. Although, I have had friends who have had a hard time finding it. You can actually go to Joseph's website and search with your zipcode to find a store in your area that carries it. You can even request for your store to start carrying it. And I promise you, it's worth it.

Below is a comparison of what 1 piece of Joseph's Lavash Bread looks like compared to 1 regular piece of bread. Huge size difference, and huge difference in nutritional makeup.


Here are the nutrition facts for 1/2 piece of lavash bread (which is plenty filling) Only 50 calories and 4 net carbs!! Compare this to 2 slices of Sara Lee Whole Wheat Bread (which I feel is the equivalent): 120 calories + 20 net carbs. So for those of you who are carb freaks like me and crave sandwhiches and anything with carbs - this is an awesome option to help you feel like you aren't missing out on much!


I have been experimenting quite a bit with these, and so far we have loved everything. And when I say we, I mean my WHOLE FAMILY! My kids love them and so does my husband. That says alot!

Our first experiment was making personal pizzas using the lavash bread as the crust. Each of my kiddos got 1/4 a slice of lavash bread (equal to a slice of pizza) to make their own. I opted for 1/2 a slice of lavash bread - equal to 2 slices of pizza.


I loaded mine with the following:
1/8 c.Pizza sauce
1/3 c. mozzarella cheese
1 Tbsp. diced black olives
diced red peppers
4 slices diced deli fresh turkey breast
salt & pepper

I put it in the oven at 400 degrees and baked until the cheese was melted and the crust was crunchy - just the way I like it! It tasted SO good! It was so filling. I almost couldn't finish it, but I definitely wasn't going to let it go to waste :) We have since made this several times, and I've loved it every time. And you're going to die when you see the calorie & macro breakdown:

Lavash Thin Crust Pizza
195 calories
9 net carbs (yes only 9!)
11 g. fat
19 g protein

That is what we call a nutrient dense meal. So healthy. So filling, and doesn't leave you feeling like you're on a diet what-so-ever!

I have since used Joseph's Lavash Bread for a variety of meals including including toasted deli sandwiches and grilled cheese sandwiches. I'm curious what other ideas you all can come up with!

Go check them out! Let me know what you think!



No comments:

Post a Comment